My Natural Phenomenon Project

For the last 2 weeks, the grade 5 class has been working on creating a structure that can withstand a natural phenomenon of any type. The structure could be a landmark like the golden gate bridge or the leaning tower of Pisa. I did the CN tower. My structure is intended to resist a tsunami and an earthquake, obviously their not going to be real but a fake wave of water will work right…… Anyway, here is a picture of my project:

Cool right. My favorite part of the whole thing is the pointy top, which is actually a chopstick glued to a piece of foam stuck to the top tube. The materials I used were popsicle sticks, hot glue, foam, cardboard, and one chopstick. Lonely chopstick one, only one. Just kidding have you seen our kitchen drawer? Chopsticks everywhere you look. As you can see in the picture I used the foam to make sure that my tower is flexible enough that it won’t just break. In a real building, this is called an internal damper.

We have been to Toronto about 3 times, but I used to live in Toronto so… I have seen the CN tower every time we’ve been there. My dad is scared of heights so we’ve never been to the tower but I’ve been wanting to do it since I knew how to talk. I don’t know a lot about the CN tower before this but I did a lot of research, like did you know the tower took 40 months to build and cost 63 million dollars!? Or that it’s 49 years old? Also CN stands for Canadian National (Tower). 

4 Replies to “My Natural Phenomenon Project”

1. Great work Noa Tili! I learned a lot, like what an internal damper is. And I can confirm we have lots of chopsticks.

2. Amazing NT! Well done.

As you note, we have many more chopsticks at home – you are welcome to them as needed!

And yes, I am indeed to scared of heights to take the elevator up the CN Tower. BUT: did you know that I did so, once, when I was 15 or so? I was told the view was ‘spectacular’, but since I had my eyes close the entier time, I can’t personally confirm this. Here’s a deal: the next time we visit TO, you can go up with another adult, take a pic, and show me.

As for your project and design: did you test it against a real wave? Could we, at home, and see what happens? That’ll be fun.

xo

Papa

3. Wow! Really nice CN tower Noa Tili! I didn’t know that it took 40 months to build. Great fact. I love the materials you used, especially the chopstick, yum. Also, I’ve been calling it the CN Tower all these years without even knowing it’s the Canadian National Tower.

Next time we are in Canada we will go to the top!

4. Great project NT!!

The CN tower is pretty cool! You know it is made up of over 40,000 cubic meters of concrete!?!

Next time your in Toronto we can go to the top observation deck!…. It has a glass floor!! Don’t worry, we’ll leave your dad that the coffee shop at ground level!